Senior Developer, April 2012 - Present
- Working as part of a small startup dev team to build and maintain the entire
tech stack that powers http://www.retrofitme.com.
Sr Software Consultant, October 2011 - April 2012
- Worked with the Cengage dev team to ship Nineteenth Century Collections Online. Coached and mentored
- Instructor/Coach for Craftsmanship Day. Lead the entire development floor in learning the Backbone.js
Principal Software Engineer, February 2011 - September 2011
Senior Software Engineer, July 2009 - February 2011
Software Engineer, Feb 2007 - July 2009
Tech lead for mqVibe. Led the creation and initial
public release of this new project from the ground up. New technology stack separate from
and mapquest.com. Responsible for the development of
new features, performance improvements, building the automated test suite and deployment
process, and replatforming the SDK on the spherical mercator projection to provide support
for Open Street Map data.
Tech lead for the front end rearchitecture of mapquest.com.
of site. Created libraries for Ajax, Events, cross-browser compatibility, and a widget framework.
Created new Platform Services API and Documentation site
(http://www.mapquestapi.com/). Used Java
Servlets to create web services for core MapQuest functionality (routing, geocoding, etc).
Used html/css/js to create interactive documentation so that developers can see documentation
and live demos on the same page.
Project lead for MapQuest Local (http://local.mapquest.com).
Launched site in 1 month using agile practices, and continued with iterative releases every 2 weeks.
Generating 3 million unique visitors per month within 5 months.
Developed iPhone friendly versions of MapQuest and MapQuest Local. Used custom html, css,
Developed back end processing system for the Business Locator advertiser program. Allows businesses
to have branded icons on the maps on mapquest.com with and submit their own location data to support
custom geocoding and referral links.
Developed custom ETL system to automate search data generation and updates. Migrated
from proprietary 3rd party search engine to Solr (
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/). Resulting system enabled search results to be updated
daily and for new functionality to be developed quickly.
Developed web based push button tool to automate the deployment of all major sites and
systems to test and staging environments. Allowed QA teams to update builds without need
for developer assistance. Written as a self contained python web app using web.py, cheetah templates,
json ajax services, and html/css/js.
JRuby, Ruby on Rails, and Test Driven Development.
Contractor, September 2006 - December 2006
- Worked with Digital Services Group to enhance the Service Oriented Architecture used to
process customer data for large print jobs.
- Handled daily spot work for print jobs that required generating print files and creating
custom layout files in postscript for the digital print department.
- Worked on new features for the RightMix product, an ASP.NET web application that assists
customer service in lowering costs for client print jobs.
Software Architects (acquired by Capgemini in 2007)
Consultant, May 2004 - April 2006
- Implemented dynamic reporting system using ASP.NET, SQL Server, and Crystal Reports
- Designed smart client prototype using WinForms and .NET
- Designed and implemented test scripts using Rational Robot to test web application interfaces
- Developed templates and guidelines for implementing online help system for a web application
- Created DTS packages in SQL Server to automate ETL tasks, and developed SQL testing
scripts to automate testing of DTS packages and new database objects
- Load tested web applications with Mercury Load Runner
My open source projects are hosted on GitHub, and I start a handful of projects every year.
Most projects currently focus on web development, build tools, and automated testing.
Bachelors of Science, Computer Science, 2004